Business Development Manager, Industrial Solutions/Services
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world's water challenges. The Company's products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company's more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The Role: Xylem is seeking a Business Development Manager who has a passion for bringing new water and wastewater solutions into the market for our industrial customers. The Business Development Manager will lead the expansion of Xylem's Water Infrastructure (Pumping and Treatment) solutions into industrial markets through commercialization of advanced technologies and identification of business models along with securing partnerships, mergers and acquisitions.
The ideal candidate will possess both a business background that enables them to drive engagement across multiple business units, as well as a technical background that enables them to easily interact with industrial customers. He/She will be a techno-commercial person with domain knowledge in one or more of the industrial water/wastewater market in the Food and Beverage, Power, Microelectronics, and/or Pharmaceutical industries. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and tactically about driving customer-centric, profitable growth, developing compelling value propositions, and collaborating cross-organizationally. A strong ability to persuade stakeholders and foster market disruption is important for the role.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Deliver Xylem's industrial expansion strategy within the Water Infrastructure business through collaboration across multiple brands in multiple geographies
- Define the geographies, market segments, customer base, and industry verticals we target and set a strategic business development plan for target segments
- Execute the strategic business development plan while collaborating with key internal stakeholders (e.g. commercial teams, product management, R&D, service and aftermarket) from multiple business units
- Secure strategic partnerships to expand Xylem's solutions portfolio, business models, channels and services to address industrial markets
- Expand Xylem's exposure into the industrial services segment and coordinate with local aftermarket teams to seek new growth opportunities
- Support Xylem's overall smart water strategy through collaboration with Xylem's Advanced Infrastructure Analytics business to leverage advanced data and analytics services for industrial customers
- Develop and execute plans for identification and validation of pilot customers for new technologies and business innovations
- Define and own the industrial roadmap for the Water Infrastructure business which may include partnerships and M&A opportunities to fill technology, capabilities, and channel gaps
- Identify, foster and negotiate partnership and acquisition opportunities that support Xylem's strategic goals to expand the industrial business
- Support M&A process from due diligence, transaction and integration as required
- Secure alignment and buy-in from internal stakeholders for new solutions and business models
- Maintain constant awareness of markets, policies, competitor activities and problems, recognize trends that develop, and make appropriate strategic and tactical sales/marketing recommendations
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Science/Business as a minimum or demonstrated equivalent experience
- Master's degree in Business Administration is desirable.
- Demonstrated history of leadership in driving strategic initiatives and profitable growth in industrial water and wastewater markets
- Possess knowledge of the water and wastewater industry and have a minimum of ten (10) years of experience delivering results in solving industrial customers' needs
- Ideally, experienced in both the developed and emerging markets with knowledge of advanced water technologies and services such as mobile or packaged systems
- Self motivated with the ability to internalize goals and work independently to deliver results
- Meticulous attention to detail: ability to juggle many tasks in parallel while maintaining quality
- Ability to be influential and persuasive when faced with resistance and work collaboratively across multiple geographies
- Excellent business judgement and the demonstrated ability to think and act both strategically and tactically
- Strong presentation, sales, and negotiation skills. Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent oral and written English communications skills
- Additional oral and written language is desirable.
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Location: Any Xylem location
Travel: 25% - 50%