Senior Engineer COMPOSITES, Material & Innovation Development - Polymers, IKEA of Sweden
To continue to fulfill our overall IKEA vision “a better everyday life for the many people” we need better materials i.e. more sustainable and attractive materials that are safe and healthy. This development work is done together with R&D partners all over the world.
The Material & Innovation Development assignment is to develop new materials and technologies for IKEA, with focus on innovation and all elements of Democratic Design; meaning quality, function, form, affordability and sustainability. The focus will be on innovative and cost efficient composite solutions for high volume applications.
This position is a unique joint recruitment with one of IKEA’s R&D partners, Swerea IVF, a research institute within the fields of materials and production processes.
We are looking for a senior engineer with a sociable personality, with a genuine technical interest in materials for composites and with the ability to see business potential in new technologies.You have likely a M.Sc. within the field of composites in combination with 10 years or more of related work experience. You have a track record of leading and managing R&D projects both with efficiency and with a positive mindset.
The following skills are of importance to be successful:
- Good communication skills and a positive and problem solving approach
- Ability to build and maintain long term relations
- Identify technical needs and set strategic goals
- Well organized and have the ability to lead several projects in parallel
- Communicate fluently in English, both verbal and written
Technical knowledge and competences
Technical knowledge within the following areas are of importance for the position:
- Thermoplastic and thermosetting polymers and bio-polymers
- Man-made and natural fibres
- Various composite processing technologies
- Conceptual product development
- Multi material combinations
- Mechanics, dynamics and stress calculation on basic to intermediate level
About the job
In this role you will be a part of our Polymer team and lead developments within the field, connected to our strategic development plans. You will be deeply involved in setting the development plans, as well as be responsible for executing projects all the way from idea to implementation. The key challenge is to identify potential technologies and develop these together with external partners as well as stakeholders within IKEA.
The job includes tasks as:
- Identify innovation and business opportunities
- Formulate plans for the area as such as well as within projects
- Scout for new technologies
- Develop new technologies
- Identify and setup R&D projects with R&D partners
- Identify and setup co-operation with new R&D partners
- Develop the strategic co-operation between IKEA and the Swerea group within the Composite area
About the assignment
The assignment is a joint recruitment together with Swerea IVF in Mölndal, Sweden, as a strategic partner within the area of material development. Several development projects are run with Swerea IVF as R&D partner using their laboratory facilities for developing new technologies. A key for successful co-operation is for IKEA to be on-site on regular basis. This set-up gives several advantages such as close day-to-day personal co-operation, fast and simple decision making for the managing projects, improved understanding for IKEA needs and demands. The close proximity to Swerea SICOMP in Mölndal, one of Europe’s leading composites research institutes, will ensure access to experts and international networks within composite materials, simulation and manufacturing technologies.
In practical this means that the position is located both at IKEA of Sweden in Älmhult and at Swerea premises. The assignment naturally requires travelling both within Sweden and internationally. It is a fulltime position and you are employed to 100% by IKEA of Sweden.
For questions regarding the position please contact:
Puneet Trehan, Material & Innovation Leader - Polymers (IKEA of Sweden) at +46 723 527410 or
Jonas Aspling, Department Manager Materials (Swerea IVF) at +46 761 476329, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions regarding the recruitment process please contact:
Marie Pauli, HR Manager (Swerea IVF) at +46 707 80 60 93, email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application in English!